Sensei and the Samurai

Members above at their sports day.

Members above at their sports day.

Members above at their sports day.

Abbie White, Writer

Samurai explaining to students how to properly use the sword

The purpose of the anime club is about exposing Japanese culture to others. In the club, members learn Japanese words and phrases, role play, and make Japanese dishes to try. They’ve taken field trips and have had many Japanese culture lovers to come in and talk to them after school. Many things happen while in Anime club, including making paper cranes.

When the members heard that there were eighty extremely ill children at Saint Jude’s Children’s Hospital, they immediately started making paper cranes. The members sent the cranes off December 7, letting the children decorate their rooms with the cute shaped papers.

Students mid-action swinging their wooden swords

Along with making paper cranes for others, the members and Comnick-sensei love to make yummy Japanese dishes to taste. Some of the dishes include sushi, rice balls, and ramen.

Besides making Japanese goods, the members had a Samurai come in during November. The Samurai was dressed in full attire pertaining to what he was teaching. He taught the members along with Comnick-sensei how to properly hold a sword and fight. He taught the members stances along with certain moves. During his presentation he had rice mats soaked in water. When you soak the rice mats in water, it represents the feeling of an actual human limb. He showed how the sword would slice into a human’s “skin” with the certain motions and pressures. The students really enjoyed the Samurai coming to visit and showing them techniques.

Sailor Moon is another thing that the members of the club love. Sailor Moon is an anime about a group of five girls that receive powers and fight evil forces to protect their world. During Sailor Moon Day, the members will make lovely tiaras, wear those tiaras they made, and practice poses.

Before Christmas break, they members will be having a Christmas special. More details are to come.

In the near future, the the members will be taking a LARPing (live-action-role-play) trip in the park. They are not sure when, but they’ll be going in the next few months.

About the Writer
Abbie White, Writer
Abbie White is bae goals. She is funny and terrible at procrastinating. Her favorite chocolate candy is Twix, which is totally amazing. She loves anime with a great passion, especially Tokyo Ghoul, and Korean Pop, also known as K-Pop. This super-nerd loves the Netflix original series Stranger Things. She has two siblings whom she loves...
  • Sensei and the Samurai

Anime

Valentine’s Chocolate and Anime Club

• Sensei and the Samurai

Anime

Sensei and the School

• Sensei and the Samurai

Feature

FCCLA Going Out with a Bang

• Sensei and the Samurai

Showcase

To New Beginnings

• Sensei and the Samurai

Showcase

Track Sectionals 2018

• Sensei and the Samurai

Showcase

Spring Athletic Banquet 2018

• Sensei and the Samurai

Showcase

It Was Raining and So Were My Eyes: Student Council Retreat

• Sensei and the Samurai

Showcase

A Night In Greece: Prom 2k18

• Spring

Catching Up With the Track Season

• Choir

The Choir Defies Gravity

Sensei and the Samurai