Future Leaders of FHS

Skylar Tarkington

Freshmen Student Council member Josiah White

Skylar Tarkington, Editor

Student Council is already working hard this year with some brand new things. This year has a few changes. We have six new student body officers. We have President Skylar Tarkington, Vice President Sara White, Secretary of State Haley Gilmore, Secretary of Interior Johnee Hargis, Chief of Staff Bailey Stamp, and Speaker of the House Abbie White. This is only the second year that Student Council has had six student body officers and the first year that we have had a Chief of Staff. Student Council also has all of our annual events with Drive for Your School, Veterans Day, and a few Christmas events. We also have a few new things in the works with Halloween and some awesome parties.

One new thing in Student Council is the abundance of freshmen members. Usually freshmen are always shy and the last to do anything, but this year the freshman class is proving everyone wrong. They have already shown their dedication to Student Council and their drive to make this school better. Even I didn’t become truly involved in Student Council until my second or third year of joining. As Student Body President, I couldn’t be more excited to have the freshmen in Student Council. During Homecoming week, the student body officers and I were worrying about everything possible when two freshmen walked up to me and simply asked, “What can we do?” I was so stunned that I had no idea what to say. In past years, hardly anyone, outside Leadership Class, ask to help with anything, especially freshmen. The class of 2021 is setting the bar high for upcoming freshmen and the other classes.

For every spirit week, seniors and juniors are always close to each other in spirit points. This year, however, I felt as if I was competing with the freshmen more than anyone, and I wasn’t wrong. For the first time in a long time, the freshman class was second for the spirit stick. The freshmen have only been in school for a little over a month, and they are already showing they have more gusto than any other class. I truly believe the freshmen are going to give the other classes a run for their money next homecoming. The freshman class has tremendous potential to become some of the best leaders FHS has ever seen.

Skylar Tarkington
Freshman Student Council member Wyatt Hurley