Legislative Job Shadowing Takes Students to Capitol in Missouri

Mrs. Cook, Adviser

Submitted by Mrs. Mungle
Brookelyn Lord and Marissa Hale on the steps of the Capitol in Jeff City

Last Friday, March 9, two FHS students shared their experiences of a recent trip to Jefferson City with faculty during a professional development meeting. Senior Brookelyn Lord and junior Marissa Hale were chosen to be among fifty students in the state to attend the Missouri FCCLA Legislative Shadowing program held January 30 and 31 in the state capital.

Because only two applications are allowed per high school, it was exciting to have two of our students selected. The ladies stayed across from the Capitol building and were able to conduct primary research with elected members of the state government.

Hale followed Representative Rick Francis for the day, receiving an in-depth tour and being introduced on the house floor.

Lord shadowed Senator Wayne Wallingford during the introduction of a bill on the senate floor, where she was introduced to the members of the senate. She stated that she was also able to see the whispering room.

During the question-and-answer session that followed the students’ presentation, Mr. Maas asked, “What is the whispering room used for?”

Hale explained: “It’s supposed to carry your whisper from one end of the room to the other.” Designed to enable congressmen to listen in on the other party’s conversation, this is a room that not many tourists get to see.

Mrs. Singleton was impressed with this opportunity and responded, “That’s an honor.”

The teachers and staff were happy to hear that the girls had such a great visit this semester, and their FCCLA sponsor, Mrs. Mungle, is hopeful that other students will be able to participate in the future.