Filed under Showcase

Gold Dusters on a Roll This Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gold Dusters on a Roll This Year

Freshman Paxton Clark and sophomores Stella Steck and Maddie Jennings prepare to greet the football players as they run out of the tunnel at the De Soto homecoming game.

Mrs. Cook

Mrs. Cook

Mrs. Cook

Liz Hinkle
Senior Mackenzie Phillips wows the crowd with her smile during the pep rally.

The Gold Dusters were off to a great start during football season. Led by fifth grade teacher and adviser Shannon Hovis, the group this year consists of freshmen Paxton Clark, Layni Kinkead, and Trista Wagganer; sophomores Emilee Goldsmith, Madison Jennings, and Stella Steck; junior Mackenzie Rice; and seniors Emily Kuehl, Mackenzie Phillips, Skylar Sikes, Hope Turnbeau, and Lauren Wagganer.

The dance squad’s main choreographer, Skylar Sikes, says that the First Responders’ Night on September 14 at the home game against Perryville was the Gold Dusters’ most moving performance so far. She and Mackenzie Rice agree that “Like I Do” by David Guetta, Martin Garrix, and Brooks remains a favorite among girls and crowd alike. About that number, Hope Turnbeau adds, “I could do it in my sleep.” To see the girls perform this song at the football homecoming pep rally on September 28, check out “Gold Dusters Perform ‘Like I Do'” in the videos widget of Scratch Pad online.

Liz Hinkle

This time around, the team also engaged in a “dance-off” against teachers. Each girl had her graduating year on the back of her pink T-shirt. You’ll have to decide for yourselves which is the more talented group of dancers.

Liz Hinkle
Emilee Goldsmith, a sophomore, gets into position for her performance of “Like I Do.”

Other members would choose a different favorite song, however. Stella Steck and Emilee Goldsmith cite “Praying” as performed by Kesha as the one to which they love dancing most. Although it is a slower-paced song than most of the ones they use, the different style shows just how talented these girls really are.

FHS looks forward to what the Gold Dusters will share during basketball season.

About the Writer
Mrs. Cook, Adviser

Mrs. Cindy Cook is enjoying her fourth year as adviser of Scratch Pad. Beginning her teaching career in Pennsylvania, she moved to the area in 2003 and...

• Gold Dusters on a Roll This Year

BASE

Creating the Imaginable: Minecraft Club

• Video

Fun in the Storm

• Gold Dusters on a Roll This Year

Girls Basketball

Chemistry on the Court

• Gold Dusters on a Roll This Year

Feature

Joyful Smiles Are All They Need

• Video

Gold Dusters Perform “Like I Do”

• Student Council

StuCo Christmas Spirit

• Gold Dusters on a Roll This Year

Guitar

Shreddin’ With Guitar Club

• Gold Dusters on a Roll This Year

Anime

Merii Kurisumasu: Merry Christmas from Animé Club!

• Gold Dusters on a Roll This Year

Pep Club

Blackcat Pride!

• Gold Dusters on a Roll This Year

Boys Basketball

The Season So Far and What to Expect: Boy’s Basketball

Gold Dusters on a Roll This Year