On Par with the Professionals

The Golf Team gathered for a picture after winning the West County match.

Lizzie Crouch, Assistant Editor

Every year something different is in store for the Fredericktown golf team, and this year nothing but success has made its way on the green. This year the golf team expected some talented freshmen to join their already capable team. Both Braydon McMinn (9) and Braxton Neel (9) had been able to keep up with the skilled juniors and seniors who continuously put in the practice and worked hard. With every varsity tournament, you could find the two newbies swinging their clubs and getting scores that earned them medals.

Nevertheless, these weren’t the only athletes who brought home the gold. Grant Ebert (12), Dalton Winick (11), Eli Aslinger (11), Garrett Ward (11), and Aiden DeSpain (10) all contributed to the team’s success at multiple tournaments. A few specific tournaments where these players really stood out were some of the matches that were only 9 holes. The team took home second place at both the Arcadia Valley and Farmington invitationals with scores of 186 and 187, and did even better on April 25th when they got first place with a score of 180 against West County and Central on their home turf at Beaver Valley. At the same match, Braxton Neel (9) and Grant Ebert (12) were both given medalist honors having individual scores of 43. Another outstanding match, taking place on April 27th against Potosi, ended with a major victory. The boys beat Potosi 173-197, and Aiden DeSpain earned medalist honors for completing a round of 40.

The golfers also got first place at bigger tournaments, West County and St.Pius, where 18 holes were played and lasted from 8 a.m. till about 3 p.m. Furthermore, the boys wrapped up their season on a high as they played in MAAA conference and district matches. Dalton Winick (11) and Grant Ebert (12) captured all-conference honors with rounds of 79 and 80, finishing 4th and 7th. The district tournament was sadly the last match for some of the guys but not for Dalton and Braydon, who qualified for the state tournament in Sedalia, Missouri, on May 16th and 17th. Good luck to these two as they go up against the best in the state this weekend.