Tough Loss Ends Three-Game Winning Streak

Emilee Goldsmith

Kiley Elders throws another strike.

Emilee Goldsmith, Writer

On September 6th, the varsity softball teams of the Fredericktown Ladycats and North County Raiders faced off. The game started at 4:30 p.m. with cloudy skies as tropical storm Gordon was passing over at the start of the game. Fortunately, as the game continued, the sun brightened up the field to give the teams good weather. Before playing the Raiders, the Ladycats had a three-game winning streak. As the game began, the Fredericktown Ladycats played their hearts out. They got down and fierce with the North County Raiders.

When the girls are up to bat, each of them has a unique nickname or song which encourages them. Senior Kylee Bastie has the nickname “Judo” from her early days of Jujitsu training. “Oh, seven, hit it to the heavens,” is another phrase often heard when senior Kayla Montgomery is at the plate. Coach Cody Huff enjoys this part of the game and strives to inspire his team to be like a family. He encourages them to keep their head up when tough times come. The girls also push each other to do things they never thought they would be capable of doing.

By the middle of the game, the North County Raiders took a commanding lead. But Fredericktown senior Kylee Bastie would finally score, giving them their first and only run. Other highlights included freshman pitcher Kiley Elders, who struck out many Raiders, and first baseman sophomore Loren Kinkead, who was tough on defense. North County kept the Fredericktown outfielders busy with a series of multiple hits.

Unfortunately, the Fredericktown Ladycats had 7 errors, which cost them greatly, in their game. They lost the game 16-1, but they put up a good fight throughout the entire game. Hopefully, they will continue to have fun and bring back their winning streak this season.