Isaac Pirtle’s Role in Scholar Bowl

Isaac+Pirtle+%2812%29+discussing+a+question+with+Cooper+Durr+%2812%29+during+a+competition+against+Farmington.+

Lizzie Crouch

Isaac Pirtle (12) discussing a question with Cooper Durr (12) during a competition against Farmington.

Lizzie Crouch, Editor

There are many activities, clubs, and sports that students can get involved in at FHS. Sometimes students discover a hobby that they thoroughly enjoy, and they ultimately dedicate a lot of time to that specific niche. For example, some of Fredericktown’s star athletes rack up 20 hours of practice a week. Likewise, FFA members spend hours working on different speeches and projects for competitions. Nevertheless, there is one specific senior at Fredericktown High School that found a craft that came effortlessly to him.

Isaac Pirtle joined Scholar Bowl his freshman year and has grown to become an outstanding leader and team member. Isaac says, “Scholar Bowl is great because it is a good outlet to share knowledge and compete against others outside of the classroom.” Isaac enjoys Scholar Bowl very much because it challenges him intellectually, and it is something in which he can excel. This is because, for the most part, the skill of competing in trivia questions comes naturally to him. Isaac’s peers know him as one of the

smartest in the classroom and always come to him when they need help with their math and science needs.

He has accomplished so much in Scholar Bowl. Isaac Pirtle individually placed seventh at districts during the 2022 Scholar Bowl season. He averaged over three correct toss-ups per round and stood out among schools like Notre Dame and Farmington. He was deemed a co-captain this season along with another senior, Cooper Durr.

Sam Coleman (12), Isaac Pirtle (12), Cooper Durr (12), and Gage Betts (11) gathering confidence for their first home meet of the season. (Lizzie Crouch)

“I could have not accomplished these things without the support I received from the upperclassmen teammates that mentored me in my first few seasons.” – Isaac Pirtle

Isaac plans to continue his passion for STEM at the Missouri S&T engineering school. Missouri S&T awarded Isaac several scholarships for his academic achievements. Isaac plans to pursue a career in chemical engineering because it involves a variety of skills like math, science, and economics. Overall, Isaac has enjoyed his years at Fredericktown High School and especially being a member of the Scholar Bowl team.