MAAA Conference Track

Keeley Walker

TJ Bowling (12) warming up to throw the javelin during the MAAA conference meet.

Lizzie Crouch, Editor

On Friday, April 28th, the FHS Blackcat Track and Field team traveled to Park Hills, Mo to compete in the MAAA conference track meet. All season-long throwers, sprinters, hurdlers, jumpers, and distance runners have been competing in a variety of invitational meets. Along with this, the 2023 team is made up of mostly freshmen and sophomores so many of those meets have been Junior Varsity level competitions.

In all of these meets there have been many successes. Multiple personal bests were made, athletes climbed their way into Fredericktown track and field record books, and so many medals were earned. All of this has contributed to the outstanding performances that occurred at the conference meet.

One senior on the team, who has dedicated many years to the sport and has seen countless successes in every event she attempts is Linley Rehkop. She was able to earn the Conference Champion in the 100m as well as the 2nd place finisher in the 200m, 300m Hurdles, and the Long Jump. Another senior on the track team that has stood out this year is TJ Bowling! He was able to showcase his talents at conference by coming in 3rd place in the Discus. TJ also qualified for the conference standard! Junior Ava Penuel medaled as well, with 3rd place in the Javelin.

Along with these amazing accomplishments many other team members contributed in points. Donnie Laut (10) placed 8th in the 1600-meter race, finishing with a new personal best of 5:08. In a similar fashion Dane Sensel (10) finished 8th in the 300m hurdles. A freshman on the team, Oscar Millan scored points by finishing in 6th in the High Jump and with a new personal best. Standing out once again, TJ Bowling placed fourth in the Shot Put. Lastly, Dane Sensel (10), Donnie Laut (10), Reid Simmons (9), and Braden Braswell (11) ran an amazing race during the 4×800-meter relay, placing 5th.

Overall there were multiple Blackcats that ended up coming out of this meet with a new personal record. A fresh runner, Haley Tucker (10) set her record in the 100-meter dash and she was shocked to come out so strong during such an important meet. Two of the Blackcat long-distance runners, Patience Garland (12) and Maddie Phares (10) ran amazing races and kept a strong pace the whole time. This race was very monumental for Patience because, being a senior, this was one of her last few opportunities to break a 3-minute 800-meter race. With this determination, she was able to conquer her original time and run a 2:55-minute race. Lastly, a senior, Triston Lunsford was able to finish his 400-meter race with a brand-new personal best of 1:03.