Scratch Pad

The Student News Site of Fredericktown High School

Scratch Pad

Scratch Pad

Polls

Did you change your schedule this year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Fun, Freedom, and Fellowship

The Dungeon and Dragons Club welcomes new members
Hendrix+Babbitt+%286%29%2C+Simon+Babbitt+%2810%29%2C+Lynn+Long+%2812%29%2C+and+James+Seabaugh+%289%29+posing+for+a+group+photo.+
Dominick Rehkop
Hendrix Babbitt (6), Simon Babbitt (10), Lynn Long (12), and James Seabaugh (9) posing for a group photo.

Dungeon and Dragons is a fantasy tabletop roleplaying game that takes place in sessions. Dungeon and Dragons is also known as DnD. During the game, there are Dungeon Masters, known as DMs. During these sessions, the participants roleplay and dive into a fantasy world where they embark on epic quests. There is no winning or losing in the game, but a story told by the DM.

DnD takes time to set up, and it can be hard for new members. However, Ava McGuire (12) and Lynn Long (12) say that yes, they do accept new players. Lynn went more in-depth by saying “They often want to join on Monday but that is when we host advanced Dnd, so we often ask for them to join the beginner class on Wednesday just in case they haven’t played before.” DnD is an advanced game and can be complicated for people. Some may find it easier and understandable after playing just one session, but Ava says, “It depends on how people learn.” Lynn went on to add, “It does get easier after being close around us, learning the game.”

Dungeons and Dragons can be pretty funny sometimes, with every possibility available. Ava said that there is no significant play she remembers, but it was crazy when someone rolled three naturals in a roll. Lynn remembers a funny moment saying, “when a campaign member broke the path early with a dice 100 role.” DnD has been a large club in the past, but this year when every member is present, they have around 6. The club members are very close, all being great friends. They try to make the club enjoyable in other ways, such as giving out snacks and drinks. Ava says, “snacks are handed out every once in a while; there can be soda, hot coco, candy, and other sweets as well.” Lynn would like to point out the club supervisor, Mr. Daniels, who as helps provide drinks and food.

DnD players take pride in their club and encourage others to join. Lynn says, “DnD has the best turnout of player numbers constantly rejoining.” Throughout the semester, students are allowed to join and watch the campaign. If you would like to join, fill out a blue enrollment from provided by Mrs. Mathes and talk to Mr. Daniels beforehand. In the words of Ava, “The fun, freedom of activity, and overall enjoyment make this club that much better.”