DECA: Fredericktown Brings the Heat

Liz Hinkle, Writer

DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. DECA club recently went to districts on February 12th at the SEMO campus in Cape Girardeau, MO. In a normal DECA performance, a student gets a situation and time to analyze it. Next, they present their idea in front of a judge, this is the role play part of the event. Before they even go to districts everyone is required to take a test, this test helps break a tie in the role play situations.

The 2019 Fredericktown DECA club was very successful in districts this week. Eight different people placed first in their event; William Arras & Abby Parson (Hospitality Services Team Decision Making), Carter Corcino & Clemens Novak (Business Law & Ethics Team Decision Making), Colton Helms (Business and Services Marketing), Brayden Mullins & Ralph Patterson (Sports & Entertainment Marketing Team Decision Making), and Zachary Stevens (Principles of Finance).

Three people placed second: Elizabeth Hinkle (Apparel & Accessories Marketing Series), and Matthew Starkey & Ethan Watson (Sports & Entertainment Marketing Team Decision Making).

The following took third in their events: Vincent Brown (Principles of Finance), Dawson Buford & Colton Francis (Buying & Merchandising  Team Decision Making), Paxton Clark & Lexie Stamp (Travel and Tourism Marketing Team Decision Making), and Evan Dodson (Entrepreneurship).

Other members of DECA are Easton Elrod, Lily Hovis, Max Kopitsky, Jacob Lauer and Brent Turnbough.

The next step for the first and second place medalists is state. This year, state is being held in Kansas City; it will be over the course of three days. During these three days all the students that are attending will be trying their hardest to be the best in their category. Wish them luck as they compete on March 24-26.