Upcoming: Track 2019

Emilee Goldsmith

Ava Laut starting her race in cross country

Liz Hinkle, Writer

This year’s track team is looking to be very promising. There are a lot of new faces and talent on the team. One particular freshmen, Ava Laut, is an excellent runner. In fact, that is pretty much all she does. During the fall she is training and running cross country; she was the most successful girl on the team. Then, during the winter when most were playing basketball or sitting to enjoy the games, you could find Ava doing off-season training. This girl is really dedicated, so I’m sure you are not surprised that she is on the track team. She is definitely one to watch this season.

Fredericktown’s track team is one of the most successful teams next to tennis. Many people don’t realize how much the track team does or how much they accomplish. A typical track practice for Ava and other distance runners typically looks like this:

After they get changed and ready for practice they warm up to get their muscles ready for a tough workout ahead. Next in their typical routine, the coach tells them to run around town for a certain amount of minutes. When they come back to the high school, they log how many miles they did on a piece of paper. To wind down he has them do something a little extra like hills or sprints. Ava said right before they leave, they do core and stretch.

While you might not think that the workout mentioned above would be that difficult, I assure you they are. Stay updated on what the track team does this season, we are expecting a good one!