JROTC: Doing the Most

Liz Hinkle, Editor

Most people don’t pay attention to the JROTC cadets or even realize who is a cadet unless they are wearing the uniform. What most people don’t know is that JROTC is more than just a uniform. The students and the teachers (First Sergeant Cofer and Colonel Francis) are always working hard and serving their community.

The JROTC program is focused on preparing young cadets to become great leaders, even if they’re not going to join the military. This class teaches the cadets a lot of respect, not only for adults but for their peers and even themselves. Colonel Francis puts a lot of heart into this program and is very dedicated to it; he is always pushing the cadets to do their best and be the best that they can be.

There are many different leadership opportunities in JROTC. One of these is being on staff. When you are on staff, you are helping the whole program run. Without these staff members, a lot of work and stress would be on First Sergeant and Colonel.

I mentioned previously that JROTC does a lot for their community, and they do. Just in the past few months they have raked leaves for people, helped the wife of the late Mike Stearly move some stuff out of her house, and helped out at Special Olympics. They also marched in the Christmas parade.

JROTC is a great program and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. To learn more about joining at semester or next year, talk to Mrs. Gibbs or Mrs. Mathes in the office.