From 8,975 Miles Away

Lena Thach, a citizen of Fredericktown, Missouri during sunset in Florida.

Lucy Pham, Editor

Anything new often is terrifying and at times intriguing. Usually, it’s a small thing like a new hobby or diet. But what if you had to displace your whole life for it? This is the case for Lena Thach, a Vietnamese-Khmer who came to Fredericktown, Missouri, in 2010.

Being born after the Vietnam Conflict as the youngest of a family of 8 has made Lena iron-willed and independent. These traits allowed her to excel at any tasks she was put up to, from gathering firewood, hair styling, and butchering fish—she could do it all. Besides her random talents, Lena gave up her education after 8th grade to help out with the family business and do nails as a side hobby. In 2008, she finally had the opportunity to immigrate to the US after extensive tests and screening done by the Vietnam Embassy. Everything was new: months of English and culture preparation couldn’t compare to the real thing. Communication was the most difficult for her. She wasn’t able to use the technology we have today like Google Translate or ready-made dictionaries. Fortunately, there were are always those she could ask for help, be it foreign strangers or more experienced Vietnamese. The journey to America is difficult for everyone, but it was more so for Lena due to the extra luggage of a 4-year-old child.

Time went on as Lena got acquainted with America, and began to find a place to settle. The first area was Farmington, Missouri, where her husband’s family resided. However, the search for a job lead her to Virginia Beach, Virginia. As months went by, it seemed like it was better to be by family rather than across the states. Following extensive debate, the Pham family decided to pack their bags and move back to Missouri—this time to Fredericktown. Doing what she does best, Lena opened a nail salon called “Lucy Nails” in the town after noticing a lack of salons in the area. And here she is are now, continuing the business in 2021.

The journey to get to where she is today has been long and arduous, but Lena has persevered. Through thick and thin she’s always tried her hardest for herself and her family. Humans of FredMO often showcases the students of Fredericktown High School, so here I am taking the chance to explore the fundamentals in our town—the people. Everyone in Fredericktown is unique and has interesting pasts or hobbies, and Lena is one of those unique people. She adds a pop of color to everyone in the town, and I want to be thankful for that. Happy Mother’s Day!