Gold Dusters: Wrapping Up The Fall Season!

Abigail Stookey

The entire Gold Dusters team during the football homecoming pep rally. From left to right, Emmalee Pierson (10), Cailyn Starkey (9), Trista Wagganer (12), Brianna Noble (11), Ava Hovis (9), Hannah Rehkop (9), Ryan Nelson (11), Mackayla Berry (9), Layni Kinkead (12), and Hailey Parson (9).

Abigail Stookey, Writer

Earlier this season, on September 10th, the Gold Dusters team kicked off their season at our second football home game of the year, giving the spectators a moving routine created as a tribute to 9/11 first responders. Every team as a whole agreed the performance was hit, with junior member Ryan Nelson claiming members of the crowd were in tears by the end of the rendition.

Emmalee Pierson (10) finishes off her performance with style, while in the background Hannah Rehkop (9) gives a similar flair to the end of the team’s dance. (Abigail Stookey)

The Gold Dusters have always been a pillar of school spirit, masters of hyping up the crowd before a game, and they’re one of the most unique sports in the school overall. For every dance the team must function as a unit, performing well practiced routines with an undeniable talent behind them. Whether they’ve been in Gold Dusters itself their entire high school career, such as senior student Trista Wagganer, have been dancing for years on end like freshman Ava Hovis, or are simply there to make new friends, all of them have a certain passion for their sport or even dance in general! Every team member has a chance to choreograph a dance if they wish, and pick the song that goes with their vision, as long as it’s approved by coach Shannon Hovis, a teacher from our own local intermediate school.

Later in the same month as their gripping season debut, the team performed at the football homecoming pep rally, pulling in the crowd’s attention for what proved to be as wild a pep rally as ever. Now the team awaits basketball homecoming, excited for their Christmas themed performances to come! There’s a lot to look forward to over the rest of the year, with such amazing new talent and ideas, and the experience of their senior members behind it!