Scratch Pad

The Student News Site of Fredericktown High School

Scratch Pad

Scratch Pad

Polls

Which is better, Pancakes or Waffles?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Humans of FredMo – Ian Henson

Not so ordinary extracurriculars: MAC Fine Arts Academy
Ian+Henson+%289%29+and+cast+members+dancing+for+the+party+scene.+
Francis Photography
Ian Henson (9) and cast members dancing for the party scene.

Each fall, the MAC Fine Arts Academy puts on a musical or play. Any person from the surrounding communities can try out for the play, and the program tries to make sure everyone participating receives a part. The 2023 fall musical was “Meet Me in St. Louis,” inspired by the 1944 movie directed by Vincente Minnelli. Two students from FHS participated in the production, Ian Henson (9) and Sophie Haferkamp (9).

The play was one of the few events Ian participated in, and we got a sneak peek at his view of the musical. Ian got to work with one of his favorite directors, Jason Carr. He began practicing in September, just under three months before show week. Cast members came together to build the set, and Ian’s favorite part was painting the trolly.

Throughout the show, Ian developed a range of favorites from “Meet Me in St. Louis.” Having a few different costumes to choose from, the best one, in his opinion, is from the scene/song “Peewee Drummond.” His favorite scene is from act 2, in which Esther sang “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” to her younger sister, Tootie. It made him and the rest of the cast very emotional, with many shedding some tears.

Performing to 4 sold-out nights, Ian thought it was quite cool. He is extremely thankful for the opportunity to perform in the magnificent production, and he did extremely well. Ian plans to participate in future productions and we can not wait to see him do well!

Ian Henson conversing with a cast member while the main cast sings. (Francis Photography)