Scratch Pad

The Student News Site of Fredericktown High School

Scratch Pad

Scratch Pad

Polls

Would you like to add study hall back into the school schedule?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FHS First Female Principal In Years!

Mrs. Reutzel – FIS to FHS
Brianna Benitez
Mrs. Reutzel, showing her FHS spirit by participating in Black and Gold Day.

At the end of the 2023 school year, we said goodbye to our former principal, Craig Gibbs. After his departure, we welcomed our new principal, Nickey Reutzel to FHS. Mrs. Reutzel was formerly the principal at Fredericktown Intermediate. She moved here to FHS and became the head volleyball coach as well. Reutzel describes what drove her to FHS, her feelings about being here, and some changes she’s faced. Moving to this school, she can work alongside her husband, Micah Reutzel, the nurse here at FHS, an assistant football coach and head girls’ basketball coach. She has also moved closer to her daughter who is a junior this year, PJ Reutzel.

Starting from the beginning, Reutzel received her (BA) in education at SEMO in 2007. She then received her master’s in Educational Administration at William Woods University in 2009. Lastly, she received her Master of Science in Counseling at Missouri Baptist in 2014. What an educated woman!

Mrs. Reutzel explains why she took on FHS. She says, “I have previously worked with secondary students in years past and have spent the last eight years with elementary-aged students. I was ready for a change and excited to return to the secondary level.”

Most of us may wonder what the biggest change was, and Mrs. Reutzel’s answer met those predictions. She describes the change of ages in the kids she’s in charge of. She explains, “The changes include working with students at a different stage of life. Working at the elementary and intermediate, I was able to work with students who were starting the school process. I now have students that are preparing for college or their careers.”

Reutzel explains how she feels about her time here. She kept it positive as usual. “I have enjoyed my time at the high school thus far. The students and staff have made my transition a positive one.”

The last thing she talked about struck us as humorous. She tells her favorite and least favorite parts of the job. “The best part of my job is getting to work with students and helping students to see the value in education. The worst part of my job is bathroom duty.” Most of the staff agrees with you, Mrs. Reutzel.

To sum up her story, biology and chemistry teacher Dustin Daniels has only kind things to say about Mrs. Reutzel:

“Mrs. Reutzel is one of the most personal principals I’ve worked for.  Every time I see her in the halls, she’s speaking to a student or staff with a smile. I can tell that she’s sincere. The atmosphere of the building is lifted by her positive attitude. (And let’s face it, no one danced better than she did at the “Thriller” dance at homecoming!) I feel more like she’s my teaching coach than that she’s my boss. I can come to her with a problem and know that she’ll listen, even if I’m in the wrong.  I respect that and I respect her.”

Mr. Daniels, I’m sure Mrs. Reutzel appreciates your kind words! FHS feels very grateful to be in the presence of such an amazing principal, coach, and friend. Students have expressed their appreciation for Mrs. Reutzel and hope that she will stay here for future years!