Scratch Pad

The Student News Site of Fredericktown High School

Scratch Pad

Scratch Pad

Polls

Would you like to add study hall back into the school schedule?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Swish, Another Win

The+Fredericktown+Blackcats+basketball+boys+during+their+time-out.+
Yesenia Grado
The Fredericktown Blackcats basketball boys during their time-out.

This 2023-2024 the Blackcats boys basketball season has been pretty great so far. December 8, 2023, was the Fredericktown Blackcats boy’s basketball homecoming game against the Perryville Pirates. The evening began with the junior varsity game, which was a win with a score of 53-21.  Not long after the junior varsity game, the homecoming candidates were escorted onto the court, followed by the varsity game. Between games the Gold Dusters and cheerleaders pumped up the crowd as they cheered and danced for our varsity players as they ran out and got warmed up for their game. 

During the break between games, the homecoming candidates were called, to honor each of their clubs and to crown the 2023 homecoming King and Queen. They all looked stunning in their formal wear and did an outstanding job. This year’s basketball homecoming Queen and King winners were Kiera Francis and Braden Braswell. They were crowned and congratulated by the retiring 2022 Queen, Lydia Mell, and King, Andrew Starkey.

The 2023 Fredericktown High School varsity basketball team consists of four senior players: Timothy DeSanto, Zander Stephens, Miguel Millan, and Jackson Smith. There are several players that will keep the team strong for the upcoming years, such as star players Braydon McMinn (11), Leeandrea Catchings (11), and Blake Terry-Breakfield (10). 

Pumped up following the homecoming presentation, Leeandrea Catchings came in hot, winning the tip-off. Shot after shot, free throw after free throw, the Blackcats showed off their skills. Not to anyone’s surprise, we took the win with a final score of 46-27.