Scratch Pad

The Student News Site of Fredericktown High School

Scratch Pad

Scratch Pad

Polls

Did you change your schedule this year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Scholar Show Down

Maddy Saffell
Norah Miller (9), Molly Clauser (9), Carter Hale (10), and Quinton Warren (10) work hard to quickly solve a math equation.

Thursday, January 25th, FHS’s scholar bowl JV and varsity faced off against Farmington, Central, and North County. Each team played versus three opposing teams, with each match lasting 50 minutes. These minutes flew by as each team was on the edge of their seats waiting to buzz in and gain points.

Fredericktown JV and varsity first went up against Farmington. JV ‘s starting players for this round consisted of Molly Clauser (9), Norah Miller (9), Sophie Haferkamp (9), and Quinton Warren (10) as team captain. Questions this round related to literature, biology, pop culture, geography, history, and mathematics. Fredericktown fired with 20 points to begin the half until Farmington came back with a lead of 80. The half was finished with a score of 100 to 20, Farmington. After half break, sophomores Shelby Kennedy and Carter Hale replaced Molly and Quinton. Both teams competed to gain points, but Farmington was still hot with a lead. Fredericktown heated up as Carter Hale was firing one answer after another. After loads of questions, points, and buzzes, Farmington came out on top for this one. The final score of this round was 220 Farmington, 90 Fredericktown. Varsity fell short to the Knights as well, with the score being 290 to 130.

Fredericktown faced Central next. Starters on varsity for Fredericktown included Clara Basden (11), Gage Betts (12), Shaylee Davis (11), and Justice Bowman (11). Topics this round included sports, literature, fine arts, mathematics, Greek history, philosophy, and pop culture. Fredericktown gained the first point, but then Central started to come in with a lead. Both teams remained very tense, but Central was still very quick to their buzzers. This half, Central led with 140 points while Fredericktown had 50. After a break, three of our players were replaced. Nikolija Mihajlovic (12), Ella Clauser (11), and Nathanael White (12) replaced Clara, Justice, and Shaylee. Our team captain, Gage Betts, remained. Fredericktown slowly gained more points, but Central’s quick knowledge wonthem the match with the final score being 360 to 80, Central. JV suffered a tough loss against Central as well, the score being 340 to 60.

North County was the final school our Blackcats faced. JV starters this round included Norah, Shelby, Sophie, and Quinton. The half started in Fredericktown’s favor; they gained several points, leaving the Raiders silent. Fredericktown led this half with an exciting score of 70 to 20. Break flew by for the Blackcats; Molly and Carter replaced Shelby and Sophie. Fredericktown struggled to keep the heat going, but their lead in the first half covered for them. North County slid back into the game, but it was not enough to defeat our Blackcats. Fredericktown wins with a close score of 100 to 90. We hope to see more victories this season!