Scratch Pad

The Student News Site of Fredericktown High School

Scratch Pad

Scratch Pad

Polls

Which is better, Pancakes or Waffles?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Keep Pushing Through

Reflections from the seniors of 2024
Dominick Rehkop
Ava Penuel making a throw in the West County game.

It’s been a back-and-forth season for the Lady Cats team this the winter. They held tryouts during October to see if players had what it takes to be in the sport. This year’s girls basketball team has 3 seniors, Keira Francis, Gabbie McFadden, and Ava Penuel.

It takes a certain type of athlete to be in this sport, and here is what seniors Keira Francis, Gabbie McFadden, and Ava Penuel believe makes them good athletes. Kiera says that she is not selfish about others, Gabbie said that she is good when it comes to teamwork, and Ava says that she is strong, smart, fast, and a hard worker.

These three girls are amazing athletes, and basketball is not the only sport they play. Keira’s favorite sport is basketball, saying, “The team is like a family.” Gabbie’s favorite game to play is soccer. She has been playing since she was 3 years old and has memories made through multiple clubs. Ava’s favorite is volleyball, the sport she says is the most fun to play.

These girls have played various sports, on different teams, for many years. This brings in lots of experience and knowledge. Keira’s best lesson is this: “No matter what, let it go, and move on.” Gabbie learned, “Let other people go in first; it makes you a better teammate.” Ava’s final lesson is “Keep pushing through.”

Keira, Gabbie, and Ava are great athletes. They have made records here at FHS, and will make more in the future. Basketball season is not over yet, and we can’t wait to see where the team goes.

Girls basketball members group talk in their huddle. (Dominick Rehkop)