Drive Into the Season

Liz HInkle

Mackenzie McMinn post swing

Emilee Goldsmith, Writer

Golf is a spring sport starting in February. Students get together and practice at the Country Club in town where the owners are very nice to let them practice there every day. Their first match is March 26th at Arcadia Valley.

There are 9 people on the Varsity and JV team combined. Joaby Sikes is the main coach and Ryan Thompson is the assistant coach. Coach Sikes has some goals for this season including them to be better than they were last year, not getting last in most of their matches, and getting new people to join next year. This year, junior Collin Corcino decided to play golf instead of baseball, because he wants to win more matches next year.

Here is a list of the people playing on 2019 team-

Daniel Bathe – Junior

Hunter Bellow – Junior

Houston Bradford – Sophomore

Collin Corcino – Junior

Grant Ebert – Freshman

Peyton England – Junior

Mackenzie McMinn – Junior

Lane Wagganer – Junior

Gavin Wojtczuk – Junior

“This year there will be experienced returning mixed with new golfers that will help us win,” Coach Sikes tells me. This will help them this year as they work to beat their goals. They will also have close to the same team as last year with a few upcoming freshman, because there are no seniors. This will help them prepare to be a better team next year.

The upcoming months the team has about 13 matches. If you are interested in attending a match you can go to our school’s website under High School Athletic Schedule to find those dates. Don’t miss out on this year’s 2019 golf team!